Friday, May 20, 2011

Back Track a Little

Elder Snow and The Swapps
We have been here almost six months now but I need to back track just a little.  We have had some unique experiences.  Some of which have been inspiring and humbling.  Two months into our mission was the Annual Area Review.  It is when general authorities come to the area and are presented with a review of what the area has accomplished, detailing what the goals and challenges are and how these are addressed.  There are missionary, youth,  and leadership training meeting in conjunction with the visit. They each presided over a stake conference each while here.  We had the privilege of having Elder Russell M. Nelson, from the Quorum of the Twelve and Elder Steven E. Snow from the presidency of the Quorum of the Seventy and their wives with us.  Elder Swapp was in meetings with them all one day and I was able to be with them at a small luncheon with eight of us and then the next day we were able to attend a temple session with them and have a luncheon afterwards along with the area presidency, the temple presidency, and their wives.   It was a privilege.  Although I did not attend any of the talks given by these fine men, the sermons they taught with their actions will never be forgotten.  One point of interest is that Elder Snow was Jeremy Belinski's Mission President and presently good friend.  Elder Snow also told me he was related to Aunt Erma.  It is always a small world in the church.  A have a sweet story to tell.  I had not planned ahead to make a platter of goodies for the afternoon of a long day of meetings and interviews in the conference room but by mid-afternoon I felt like I should go get a plate of cookies I had made the night before and get the banana bread out of the freezer.  I did so.  So when they had a break in the middle of the afternoon, Elder Swapp took the sweets in.
Elder Nelson and Elder and Sister Swapp
 I wasn't there but this is Ed's version of the story:
 "I took it into the conference room and placed it in the middle of the table in front of the Area Presidency
and Elders Snow and Nelson.  They continued on with their work, not really acknowledging the treats.  Finally, Elder Nelson said, 'Someone needs to start on this tray of goodies.'  Elder Coleman suggested that he be the one to start and so he did.  As the other Brethren were discussing various recommendations, I observed Elder Nelson carefully take one of Mom’s Oatmeal cookies and take a bite.  He chewed for a moment and then said to the group, 'I can’t speak to your other recommendations, but I definitely can recommend the Oatmeal cookie.' At which point all paused and took a cookie and started to eat.  Elder Nelson turned to me and said, 'Who made these cookies?'  I responded that it was Sister Swapp and he went on to say how delicious they were.  In a few minutes he picked up a piece of Banana Bread and took a bite.  I again watched him for his reaction.  He chewed two or three times and swallowed and his face lit up into a smile and big open eyes and he turned to me and said, 'Who made the Banana Bread?'  I responded again, Sister Swapp.  He said, 'It’s even better than the Oatmeal Cookie, Brethren, you’ve got to try the Banana Bread.'  For weeks I have been hearing from the Area Presidency that Elder Nelson never eats pastries.  Well, today he did and from his reaction, I think he liked it!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment